Wednesday 22 September 2010

Manga



Ever since I was about 12-13 I've been reading manga, and I love it. I realize this makes me, well a bit of a nerd but we all have our quirks, I also used to spend my adolescence stuck to a PS2 and didn't really get out till I turned 17, what you gonna do? Anyway I digress, this all started when I was about 8 or 9 years old, my parents used to take me to Nottingham like every weekend to visit my grandparents, and it sucked, I was so bored I wanted to cry, and often did. One day when channel surfing I discovered this cartoon called Dragon Ball Z and it was like nothing I had ever seen before. The fights, the stories, the aliens, the colours! Those Green Nameks, that purple freak Frieza and that golden golden hair. I was hooked, and obligingly cartoon network did blocks of 8 episodes in a row and all of a sudden I loved Nottingham, and I loved manga.

Like nearly every boy growing up in the 90's Japanese culture played a huge part of my life, through video games and cartoons and ever since I learnt of it I've felt a huge pull to one day go to Akihabara in Tokyo, its like my personal hajj.

After getting hooked on Dragon Ball, I started watching Gundam, Full Metal Alchemist, Death Note, Inuyasha, Blood +, Evangelion and a whole bunch of other animes. Though I don't really watch anime anymore I love manga, I still look forward to Thursday mornings when the translations of all the latest Shonen Jump mangas are released, I've been reading Naruto and Bleach since I was 16, I have 8 years with these characters and I've recently caught up to One Piece which is without a doubt the best manga I have ever read.

Ichigo, Luffy and Kakashi respectively
Anyway I often read breakdowns of these mangas on websites such as weareawesomeoness and dislike what I read, so I wanna try it out myself and do breakdowns of the big three on my own blog, for a laugh. I love reading these more than I love cinema and television, so this feels pretty natural to me. Anyway One Piece is currently on the last week of a 4 week break (which has been torture) and Naruto and Bleach come out tomorrow, so I will write a breakdown then.

Oh and for anyone wondering I love One Piece, think Naruto is pretty good, but has its serious flaws, and I think that ever since the Battle for Karakura town arc started, Bleach is woeful, but I still read it because it takes about 30 seconds and its really pretty.


And this guy is Marshall D Teach, other wise known as Blackbeard ^^^^^^^

I think he's like, really cool

No comments:

Post a Comment